Our Tiger
Page 2                 Back to previous page.

Click to find out how to purchase any photo with a Tank Museum number caption.

Tank Museum photo No. 0966/A/6

The Tiger was inspected by Winston Churchill and Anthony Eden on 2nd June 1943 (see photo on previous page) and by His Majesty, King George VI on the 18th.
The tank was moved, on its own tracks, to the harbour at La Goulette and sailed from there for Bizerta on 3 August in Landing Craft, Tank (4) No. 568.
From Bizerta it sailed for Bone on 9th August board the Empire Candida and from Bone it was carried by the SS Ocean Strength (Captain William Rickard) to Glasgow arriving 8th October 1943.

SS Ocean Strength, Denholm Line, photographed at Amboy NJ
Click to see larger picture It was delivered to the Department of Tank Design in Surrey on 20th October 1943; displayed on Horse Guards Parade, London in November 1943 and then dismantled for a thorough, technical evaluation.
On 25th September 1951 the Tiger was officially handed over to the Tank Museum by the Ministry of Supply. Since that time it has proved to be one of the most impressive and popular items in the Tank Museum collection.
Tank Museum photo No. 3451/C/2
Click to find out how to purchase any photo with a Tank Museum number caption.

To continue to the next page of the "Tiger 131" journal, follow this link

Back to the Tiger Tank home page.

© 1999 : The Tank Museum